Thursday, April 1, 2010

Fear Factor - Oysters

On my quest to try new experiences in order to step out of my round life existence, I tried something last night that I have secretly always wanted to eat but struggled with the thought that might kill me. No, I'm not taking about endless bacon cheeseburgers that would lead to a heart attack someday. I'm taking about fresh oysters!



I have seen people eat them in movies. I have heard the rumors of a romantic element to eating them with a loved one. But I have also heard about the trips to the emergency room and let's face it, oysters don't look as yummy as cherry cheesecake.



I think the average person will stay clear of oysters. Or at least everyone I have been at restaurants with have never wanted to try it with me so I always lost my nerve. But last night I ate at McGraths http://www.mcgrathsfishhouse.com/ with my friends Nancy and Darla. My heart skipped a beat when Nancy ordered their Fresh Shucked Oysters on the Half Shell.



I finally got to try one. I took a deep breath and went for it. I thought it would be gross. I thought I would gag. I thought it would taste weird. None of the above. The oyster didn't live up to it's hype. Other than the piece of shell I spit out, it was uneventful. It was the fear factor that had prevented me from trying these years ago.




I have many things in my round life that are influenced by a "fear factor" but if I can conquer oysters, I think I'm on track to a new life. However I'm still a work-in-progress as I was very aware of my stomach, many hours after dinner as I was sure the evening was going to end up at the ER.

Signing off with less fears than yesterday,

Jessie

3 comments:

  1. Great blog, Jessie! Fear of something new has also ruled my life, especially with food. Several years ago I did the same thing you're doing now, pushing past the fear. Good for you! It's worth while and you may even find new favorite foods in the process.

    And Nancy is always up for taking people to new food experiences ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was brave. My fear usually about the food but that I'll waste money on something I hate (at a restaurant). So that's stopped me from trying a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a brave brave girl Jessie, I can't even look at an Oyster. Growing up in New England I remember my family eating them all the time, YUCK. Congrats on conquering one of your fears!

    ReplyDelete